Goal #1 Achieved!


So I hit my goal weight to have the transplant!  Friday night after my dialysis treatment I weighed in 1.2 pounds under my goal weight.  I have been working at losing weight forever, but in February when I met with the transplant center they told me I needed to get down 20 pounds to hit my optimal BMI (Body Mass Index) for the transplant.  I am down a total of 90 lbs. since my peak but about 50 of those pounds I lost in the period when my kidneys had failed and I hadn’t yet started dialysis (June 2012 – May 2013).  Back then I had to force myself to eat.  When I first started dialysis I got some appetite back and started to gain a little bit of weight back.  In January 2014 I started to exercise regularly although at first it was just like 20-30 minutes per day and then I would be wiped out for the balance of the day.  Now I am at the point where I go to the gym and do like 60-90 minutes of cardio and then I can still come home and do some yard work or house elf chores and then I am out – but I am making progress.  I still avoid doing any weights because any isometric exercise in my left arm moves my veins and then I have trouble during my treatments.

After hitting my weight I emailed my dietician and the transplant coordinator at Yale New Haven Hospital.  I also had to fax them the flow sheet (daily record of my treatment) for my Treatment on Friday.  Now my case has to go before the transplant panel and they assign a nephrologist and surgeon to my case and then they can schedule the transplant.  I have no real idea how long this will take but have been told by YNHH that usually it is about a month from when you tell them you hit your weight.  So hopefully around Thanksgiving I will have a used kidney compliments of Meg!  I have a lot to be thankful for!

The balance of the weekend was nice.  On Saturday Meg went to the Sheep and Wool Festival in Rhinebeck, NY.  I went to the gym and then did some browsing at Home Depot in the afternoon.  Sunday Meg and I went for a drive thru Litchfield County.  We stopped and did some window shopping in Litchfield and then went to the White Memorial Foundation nature center and did a 3+ mile walk in the woods.  Then we had a very nice late brunch at the White Horse Tavern and then a leisurely drive back to Shelton.  It started our very overcast but the sun burned thru and was a nice day – although very windy and cold in the shade.  It was a nice day in the country and now back to the work of getting ready for a transplant.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s